Monday, January 2, 2012

Comic Book Write-Up (12/28/11)

       *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*
Aqua-Man #4
         I have really enjoyed Aqua-Mam ever since his resurrection in the pages of Blackest Day, in Brightest Day I found myself always looking forward to his part of the issues. When I heard that the creative team behind Blackest Night were going to be making the new Aqua-man comic I had to sign on, and the series so far has not disappointed me in the lease. In this issue we find Aqua-man rescuing the citizens that were captured by the dwellers of the Trench. At first Aqua-man tries to reason with to get them to stop eating people but it's to no avail and he has to close of the trench in which they dwell, pretty much killing them all off. The story is good but the art in this book is amazing, Ivan Reis once again delivers top quality for the books he is making. Also at the end of the book we get a preview to what to come for Aqua-man in the coming year, as he looks into who sunk Atlantis. 
THUMBS UP!  

Captain America And Bucky #625
        I am a big fan of Captain America he is one of my favorite super-heroes which is why I'm glad that they are doing a series that takes place both in the past but also a little bit in the present. In this book we see a story about the Captain America(William Naslund) and Bucky(Fred Davis) that took over after the original Cap and Bucky 'died'. It starts off with Davis telling his story of how he became Bucky. While he is telling his story an Android attacks him which is where Cap comes in and takes out the Android. After the fight Davis explains how the Android that had attacked that day was the same that had killed Naslund(Captain America) This then causes Steve Rogers to launch an investigation into why the android attacked and if the creator of the Android, Adam II, is back from  the dead. If any that made sense my hat goes off to you, my ramblings doesn't do the story justice. In the end I liked this issue it had good art and good writing, all a reader could wish for.
THUMBS UP! 

The Flash #4
     I haven't been reading comics for too long(only about two years) so at first I didn't know where to start. At first I was reading Deadpool, The Avengers, and Amazing Spider-man. It wasn't until I read a collected volume of Blackest Night that I got into DC stuff but after that I started reading Green Lantern and any book that Geoff Johns was doing at the time. So when I heard that Geoff Johns and an artist I had never heard of were going to do the Flash I decided to give it a try. Ever since that first issue I have been hooked on the Flash, he quickly became one of my favorite heroes. And that artist I had never heard of soon became my favorite artist and boy has he been doing a good job with this book. In this issue we see more of Manuel's past and how after his father died he vowed to kill the men responsible and so he signed up with a government agency and became a spy. But the agency conducted experiments on him that allowed him to regenerate limbs and whatnot. Manuel was them captured and tortued and after his jailers found out he could regenerate they started cutting of limbs. From those limbs bodies grew and thus the birth of Mob Rule(Yes I know that's lame) It was a good issue though and I'm curious to see where Manapul and Buccellato take this.
THUMBS UP!  

Ultimate Spider-man #5
       'It's really in bad taste.' Those are the only words I can think of when I hear mention of Ultimate Spider-man. Once would be ok but every single issue, come on Bendis. When Bucky took up Captain America's mantle people other characters didn't say it was in bad taste, the same is true of when Dick Grayson took up the Batman mantle. Anyways sorry for the little rant, other than the distasteful thing the book has been pretty good, we Miles go up against Electro this issue and then he is given a suit by Nick Fury. But the book it feels like it's missing something from it and I don't quite know what, its not the art because the art is excellent. I just found the writing Meh.
NO THUMBS(Meh.) 

Uncanny X-men #3
      Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Kieron Gillen, but I have found it really hard to get into this book and like the characters that inhabit. Of course Cyclops has always been kinda a douche and Emma Frost isn't exactly the most humble X-man but that doesn't mean that the rest of the team has to be too. I feel like the only people who can relate to the characters in this book are rich snobs. It's to the point that I was rooting for Mr. Sinister to win. My favorite part of the book was when the Celestials show up that was cool. But unfortunately I think this will be the last issue I read of this until the team stops being so pompous. 
THUMBS DOWN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment