Thursday, December 29, 2011

Comic Book Write-Up (12/21/11)

*SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*
Avengers #20
                     In this issue we find ourselves right where the last one left off, with the Avengers announcing their new line-up then Norman Osborn shows up and ruins their show. He goes on and on how he was held without trial and how he is going to come back and reclaim The Avengers. Red Hulk shuts his hologram down and then the Avengers go into red alert and search for where Osborn may be hiding out. My favorite part of this issue is when Hawkeye says that everything Osborn said wasn't wrong, how they imprisoned him without trial and whatnot. But in the end I found the book kinda slow and missing a certain something, it wasn't the art since I love David Acuna's work on this book and others that he has done. So it falls to Bendis, I understand he is doing a build up for the final show-down but it doesn't have to be slow it can be fast and fun like the New Avengers right now. I actually like the New Avengers stuff alot more than the Avengers stuff right now due to it being fast-paced and interesting. All and all I'll continue on the for the rest of Bendis's run on it. 
NO THUMBS(Neither Good Nor Bad)

Justice League #4
           Aqua-man is the newest addition to the Justice League making his debut in this issue. He shows his unique power early on by having some sharks jump up and bite into some of Darksied's minions. The only thing I didn't like was how different Johns writes Aqua-Man in this issue from how he writes it him in the Aqua-man title. This issue also saw the birth of Cyborg, one of my favorite characters. After Cyborg awakes from his transformation he runs off and then gets teleported to the rest of new heroes of the world. My question is, if Cyborg is with the Justice League from the beginning will he be more of a higher profile hero? Anyway on the final pages of the issue we see the first new 52 appearance of Darksied. I still not one-hundred percent sure that I'll keep up with the series after the current arc but we'll see.
THUMBS UP!    

Batman #4
    Remember that explosion from last issue and how DC played it up, when it was nothing the fearless Batman couldn't handle! This book has been really good thus far, sure in this issue it slows down quite a bit but that doesn't stop it from being a good book. In it we see Bruce's 'first case' when right after his parents' death he was convinced that the Court Of Owls had killed his parents. His search however had come up with nothing. After the story of his first case Batman goes into the sewers to the location of his great great grandfather's death. He is then confronted by the talon and is pushed into a pit in which he lands in a maze. Again not the most exciting issue but still good.
THUMBS UP!

Uncanny X-Force #19
                The Dark Angel Saga has ended! Warren no longer remembers who he is, Genesis is the clone of Apocalypse and is being sent to Wolverine's school, the Nightcrawler of The Age Of Apocalypse Universe is staying here to hunt down Dark Beast. This issue is an in-between wrap-up/lead-in for the series. All the people from The AOA Universe(except AOA Nightcrawler) go back back home, before going Wolverine gives AOA Sabertooth the same sword he used to kill the 616 version of him, which I found pretty amusing. What I hated about this issue was the art, it was horrible. Every single character had huge ears and it almost made the issue unreadable. If I didn't really like the Dark Angel saga I would have skipped this issue. But like I said before I'll continue with this series as long as Reminder is writing it.
THUMBS DOWN! 

Venom #11
              Flash Thompson has went AWOL and is now going to Las Vegas to collect something for the Crime-Master since he is blackmailing him. Pretty straight forward story, nothing too out there. Although we do find out the origin of the Jack O'lantern in this issue and see Venom and Jack rescue some miners. The scene where they rescue the miners has the best art of the whole book, in it you can see dust particles in the air and the miner's lamps have the light blur effect that was made popular by the recent Star Trek movie. And although the cover points to Flash using his sobriety he does not. The issue was good I thought, I look forward to the Red Hulk finding Venom and having a show down and also the Eddie Brock story being fulfilled.  
THUMBS UP!   

Wolverine and the X-men
     I really liked Schism, well except for the last two issues but other than that it was a great event book, so when I heard that Wolverine would have his own school I had to sign up for the book. And this issue keeps on delivering want I what from it. I really liked how it focused on Quentin Quire for the majority of the issue and how in the end he was the one that saved the day. My favorite scene was at the end when he is sitting on a beach chair and has a sign that says 'Send more Sentinels' I look forward to seeing where Jason Aaron takes the school.
THUMBS UP! 
          


No comments:

Post a Comment